About Grade Distribution Reports
The Grade Distribution Report shows grade data for each credit-bearing class selected. Reports which list multiple sections are sorted in Department/Course/Class Number order. Snapshots of grades are taken once each term when corrected grades are reported (approximately one month after the end of the term). Subsequent grade changes are not included in the report.
Explanations of grade values, the IUB grading system and GPA calculation is available from the Office of the Registrar in the Grade Values & Explanations section of the website.
Note: Some elements appear only on the Detail report (accessible from the search results by clicking on the Details link.)
- Term - the term in which the course was offered.
- School/Department, Course Number and Class Number (formerly Section Number)
- Effective Date is the date when the grade distribution data for the semester were compiled.
- Instructor - the name of the instructor listed on the Schedule of Classes file as having taught the course. (NB: For the purposes of this report, the instructor listed as a Primary Instructor with the lowest sequence number value on the credit-bearing component is the only instructor retained. Multiple instructors have been omitted from the data set.)
- Cls GPA (Class/Section GPA) - the average of all GPA grades awarded in the course section; GPA grades are highlighted. It is calculated by totaling the credit points for all GPA grades awarded in the section and dividing by the total number of GPA grades. In compliance with privacy regulations, section GPA is not provided if fewer than five students are enrolled in the course section, or if GPA grades were awarded and fewer than five students received GPA grades.
- Stu GPA (Average Student GPA) - the average student GPA which is calculated by averaging the academic record GPAs of all students enrolled in the course section. The GPA level used for each student is the student's current GPA level (undergraduate or graduate). Grades awarded this semester are included in the average student GPA calculation. In compliance with privacy regulations, the average student GPA is not provided if fewer than five students are enrolled in the course section, or if GPA grades were awarded and fewer than five students received GPA grades.
- % Majors - the percentage of students in the course section whose major school (or major department for College of Arts and Sciences or Graduate School students) matches the school or department offering the course.
- A%,B%,C%,D% - Percentage of each grade category awarded from all GPA grades (A+ through D-). A% includes the grades of A+, A, and A-, and so forth.
- Grade Distribution Not Available - Small Class Size - a note that will only appear if the number of students in the course section is fewer than five or if GPA grades were awarded and fewer than five students received GPA grades.
- Grade Distribution - the number of students in the course section receiving each of the possible grades that can be awarded. In compliance with privacy regulations, the distribution is not provided if fewer than five students are enrolled in the course section, or if GPA grades were awarded and fewer than five students received GPA grades.
- GPA Grd (GPA Grades) - the total number of grades issued in the course section that are considered in computing a grade point average (A, B, C, D, F). GPA grades are highlighted in the grades distribution row.
- Tot Grd (Total Grades) - the total number of grades, both GPA grades and non-GPA grades, issued in the course section.